Thursday, June 14, 2007

A Hedgehog Named Sheimi

Hedgehog... For some people and for me also, this word might remind us to the blue, rolling and sharp game character named Sonic. When I first read about a group of people who kept this animal at LYN Forum, I’m like... wtf, did these people really kept this prickly animal? How do they handle it? What does it eats? But after I’ve read page after page from the topic, it seemed like this animal really makes me fascinated. Some of them mentioned that a normal hedgie (cute, shortened name for hedgehog) normally cost around RM 300 each if we buy from a breeder. Wow, that is very high. After I’ve heard about the price, I’ve lost my interest on keeping a hedgie.

Until one day, when I went to 1U with my nephew, saw that they got a hedgie for sale which is RM 600+ each. OMG, that’s doubled the breeders’ price. I asked the worker there about the age of the hedgie, but he seemed blurred and from what I noticed, he knew less about hedgie than me (who is just a customer).

And all of a sudden, my interest on keeping a hedgie came back, but higher this time. I browsed through LYN forum and found out that one breeder named hungheykwun got 4 hedgies on sale, 2 salt & pepper and 2 albino. I booked one s & p and finally last Saturday, I got my own hedgie.

Hungheykwun a.k.a Hooi showed me how to pick him up, how to do this and do that, what I should do and shouldn’t do etc. I bought the hedgie from her for RM 260 (actually RM 280 at first but she minus RM 20 for the bus fares from Melaka – KL and for the drink bowl). I got a male hedgie, one big toyogo box, some cat foods, temporary bedding plus a plastic drink bowl.

I named this male hedgie; Sheimi, after a legendary hedgehog pokemon in Pokemon Pearl. I do the shirt bonding a few times after I got him. Just to let him recognized my smells (nice smells of course, I always smell nice). Then went to PW Midvalley to buy a 400g Royal Canin cat food for kitten and a ceramic food bowl. Sheimi really likes this food cuz he will eat the food as soon as I put it inside the bowl.

Sheimi seems over-protective cuz he will hisses, curls and straightened his quills when he sees me or my hand. When I pick him up he will curl into a quills ball but after 5 seconds he will uncurls, sniffs at my fingers then will climb and walk on my hand. Duh.. really hard to keep him sit still.

Yesterday I bought him some mealworms, which he can easily finished about 10 of them in about 10 seconds. But the problem is, we can’t feed him with mealworms so often, because it’s fattening. So, I have to keep all the balance and give him next week. Yucks.. I hate bugs.

Introducing, my beloved Sheimi:


No comments: